Lately I have been finding myself working overtime, driving my kids to every corner of the city and trying to keep my house from falling apart. I have not been to the gym in weeks. Can you suggest a quick workout routine that will keep me from falling apart?
When life gets busy going to the gym is often the last thing we want to do. (even though deep down we know it will make us feel better). The best solution to this problem comes from the Nike slogan “just do it”, and by ‘it’ I mean the Sarah Super Set.
The Sarah Super Set is a full body workout that incorporates 30-60 seconds of jumping rope in between exercises that work each muscle group.
This routine can be done in the comfort of your own home. Collecting a few pieces of exercise equipment is as essential to every home as a couch or a blender. One of my favourite places to collect equipment is Play It Again Sports or garage sales.
The Sarah Super Set:
– bar bell, with clips and plates of various sizes
– yoga or gym mat
– skipping rope
– Place as much weight on your bar as you can safely manage for each exercise
– Jump for a minimum of 30 seconds between each exercise with proper technique (For more information on proper rope jumping technique visit this step by step guide )
– If you are really in a time crunch cut down to 2 sets of 20 reps for each exercise ( but maintain the 30 seconds of jumping in between exercises)
1. 30-60 seconds of jumping rope
2. Squats with the bar placed across your shoulder 3 sets of 15 reps
3. 30-60 seconds of jumping rope
4. Deadlifts 3 sets of 15
5. 30-60 seconds of jumping rope
6. Chest press 3 sets of 15
7. 30-60 seconds of jumping rope
8. Dead rows 3 sets of 15
9. 30-60 seconds of jumping rope
10. Biceps curls 3 sets of 15
11. 30-60 seconds of jumping rope
12. Tricep extensions 3 sets of 15
13. 30-60 seconds of jumping rope
14. Abdominal bicycle 3 sets of 15
15. Stretch all muscle groups
Finding time to put your first workout in will be the toughest, but it is the key that will keep you coming back for more. I strongly recommend starting your day with this workout before the day takes control of you.
Sarah Brown is a very healthy woman. She is not only a fitness instructor at Goodlife where she teaches Body Pump, Body Flow and yoga but she is also a registered holistic nutritionist. If you have a question for Sarah, leave a comment below and she will try and help, but note that not all questions will be answered.